Baby chick 3 days old - broken leg??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harmesonfarm, Sep 19, 2016.

1. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hi,

First time incubating and i have one chick who is having troubles walking. It had hatched with crooked toes on one foot so i made a "cast" for it and it seemed to have helped, but now its leg won't work properly for walking and appears swollen and red to me.

The other chicks were pecking at its toe and made it red so i put blu-kote on it and now they are tugging and excited trying to get this one chicks toes, yanking its leg around! I feel so bad.

I decided perhaps it was because it was the only one, so i did a few of the other chicks (some of the more "agressive" ones after its toes) toes with the blu-kote. They still wouldnt leave the chicks leg alone.

I tried to seclude it but all it did was try to flap/ climb out frantically to get back to the others, looking like it was injuring its leg even more. [​IMG]

I don't know what to do from here...i only have one brooder lamp right now but will be purchasing another tomorrow hopefully.

Will the other chicks leave it be eventually? It seems to be fine with the others, i just worry it'll get worse.

I've added vitamin/electrolytes to their water.

2. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    one chick drew blood from the chicks toe now...secluded it again but it's freaked out and frantically trying to get out.

I wonder if i should just try to tape the toes back up? I feel like that is what caused the leg problem in the first place though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by