Baby chick acting sick. Wet underbelly pics

wanttobefarmer

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Elgin, TX
I have 10 2 week old chicks. I moved them to the brooder in the coop on Monday. The blue andulusian started keeping herself away from the others( I was told) and today I was able to look myself and when I picked her up her whole underside was wet. None of the other chicks ate wet. She was a little puffed up like she was sick as well. I moved her back in the house. Rinsed her belly. I saw a possible dark spot close to her rear. I rinsed her belly with hydrogen peroxide ( it bubbled alot, then I gave her belly a lite mist of neosporin. Any ideas guys? I'm Not feeling up to loosing anyone this week. Thankscid:79CEFBAF-80C0-4631-B933-1C51EE12BEB8/photo.JPGcid:85ADB731-74FC-4E06-BB34-8A91820C61B3/photo.JPG sorry my pics aren't showing up

Last edited:
Hi, the picture isn't showing for me but it sounds like the chick may have an infection. Where the yolk sac is absorbed it leaves a little opening when they are born. this is located where you describe seeing the dark spot.Normally it drys and scabs over. So I don't know if the scab was knocked off and somehow got bacteria in it?the thing is they are 2 weeks old and I would have thought you would see the chick ill sooner. Are they on medicated feed, and is the chick eating ok with healthy poos? I don't know I you have any antibiotics as that could help. If it is an infection of some sort that's what you need to give anyway. It's also important to treat as soon as possible as obviously they are so small an infection can be fatal. Hope this is of some help

I will monitor her feeding and pooping now that she is back in the house and isolated from the others. I don't know why my pics aren't working, I've posted so many pics. i will work on it later and monitor the chick, But has anyone ever seen when their whole underbelly is wet? thanks
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom