baby chick almost pecked to death by it's mom.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luvs chickens, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    I had a lone bantam cochin chick hatch under it's mom yesterday. such a beautiful buff baby. went to check 30 minutes later and the face was pecked beyond recognition. I had to pull the skin back over one side. Both eyes were swollen shut. lost alot of blood . didn't have the heart to cull her since she is strong and has the will to live. I have been using predisone eye drops and vitamin water. Yay! today she is walking drinking on her own. one eye is open and it looks like she can see. the other side which had the most damage is still exctremely swollen but I can see a eye that blinks underneath. she has a patch of missing skin on the side of her head. I think she is going to make it. Just don'tknow if she will be blind in that eye. this was the hens first hatch. [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Poor thing! I'm wondering if you might give her some antibiotics in her water....to fight infection.

3. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    anyone know why the mommy would do that??

4. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    the mom is black and the baby buff. 1st time mom.( not letting this hen hatch anymore eggs that is for sure) poor little thing. I am also using antibiotic eye drops. she looks awful, but acting normal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by