Baby chick are hatching!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buggal, Sep 4, 2016.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    I have 5 chicks running around the incubator right now. I am noticing that they are pecking at the egg shells that they came out of, is this normal? Do I need to remove the egg shells or is this what sustains them until I start feeding and watering them? When do I move them to the brooding box?
    TIA
    Lisa

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Hi Lisa! Congrats on your little chicks, that's so exciting! The chicks picking at the egg shells is completely normal, and it won't affect them at all if you decide to leave them in there or take them out. The chicks can stay sustained for up to 72 hours from the yolk that they absorbed before they hatched, so they won't need food until you decide to take them out. As for taking them out, I typically wait until they're mostly fluffed up, and then transfer them to the brooder, where they have access to food and water. Feel free to ask more questions, we do our best to help!
    ~KeyFlock

1 person likes this.
  3. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Thanks for the info. I am so excited that I can't stand it!!! I really don't want to mess up. One was out this morning when I woke up at 6am. We had to leave and got back to the house at 1pm and we had 5 running around. 2 more eggs have an external pip and others are rocking back and forth... that is really cool. I know a lot of people have been doing this for a long time but this is my first hatching and it is soooooo exciting! I keep going over and looking at them just to see if anything has changed... I know in a year or two I won't have that same excitement but I really hope I do. Thanks KeyFlock for the input. Have a great day!!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You're welcome! :) But I'm sure in a year or two, you will still have that excitement. I've been hatching for about 2 years now, and I just can't get enough. You have a great day too!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by