Baby chick ate so much that we can feel the food in it's crop!!

Curious1234

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Why did this chick eat so much? And how can we prevent it? We seperated it from all food for several hours to give the food chance to go down.

It is completely normal for you to see/ feel the food in their crop. That is what chicks do. You can put the food back in with them, and put it back with the others. Young chicks should have access to food and water 24/7.

Last edited:
Thats what they do and they save it for later it was probably real hungry. I wouldn't seperate it from food. Read up on what a crop is for and you will see what I mean :)

Well, it's not that I can just feel the food through the skin in the crop but that I can feel each granule of food in the crop! Just like hamster's pouch! The other ones have full crops that are round but not this one...

I'm no expert on chicks, but that's generally what chickens are so posed to do. I wouldn't worry about it till tomorrow morning remove the food at night and feel the crop tomorrow morning. It should be mostly empty. If its still full he may have an issue. I don't think you have a problem though.

Riki

make sure your chicks have access to dirt and/or grit, then let the little piggy have his way, some times I'm amazed at how they can even walk with how much they can stuff in there. :)

it just means he was eating some bigger pieces :) don't worry about it and don't remove feed. The crop is where the food gets stored on its way to the stomach. The crop releases food a little at a time for the stomach to digest.
Full crop = good! :)

Back
Top Bottom