1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick attacked

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FuzzyUK, Jul 6, 2011.

1. FuzzyUK

FuzzyUK New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    I've got two hens and one went broody a few weeks ago. I bought a 7 day chick today and tucked it under the wings of the new broody 'mother' and all seems fine from that point of view.

The problem is that the second hen immediately attacked me when I introduced the new chick and has subsequently attacked the new 'intruder' too.

In two or three hours time it will be dark and I normally shut the two hens up for the night in a kitchen cupboard nesting box and let them out around 7.30 am in the morning (the early morning summer light means they get noisy around 5 am) but I am worried that the new chick will not survive. Should I keep the two hens in the same nesting box and separate them by means of a wire partition? Or should I keep them in entirely separate nesting boxes? Any advice welcome.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Separating the two hens with wire sounds like a good idea, until the non-broody hen gets used to the new arrival.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by