Baby chick attacking other chicks

Hi I have a chick who won't stop attacking the other chicks he has made one of the chicks eye bleed (I got her fixed up) what is making him attack them? They have a red light, feed and water 24/7, a large broader, and a couple perches any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Apart from being way too crowded in your tiny box the continuous red lighting leads to stressed chicks due to the lack of essential hormones that will only be produced during sleep at nighttime = darkness.
For the first 3-4 days the red light is o.k. After this initial phase it is best to switch to other heat sources.

A few pieces of fresh broccoli and a nice little dust bath help to avoid boredom.

Where do you get those melon boxes? Those are awesome!
Grocery stores will often hand them out for free if you ask. Same with appliance stores, fridges and stoves come in super big boxes.
Most of my boxes came from Walmart but I have gotten some from the grocery store too. One box was one they got the Freezer Pops in. They work great. Call first. They usually go into the cardboard baler. The melon boxes are heavy duty. I put plastic down in the bottom of the boxes with pine shavings over the plastic.

Occasionally you'll get one that's just plain mean, but more likely it's over curious and doesn't know any better, or it's gotten used to bullying the others. You can try separating it for a while from the others (a wire divider is fine, or you can even try removing it completely and putting it in a different set up for a time out) to see if that'll discourage it from picking on others.
I had an a hole chick and this worked good. Kept them separate for a week, and calmed down

Back
Top Bottom