Baby Chick, Bad Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haleakalachick, Aug 10, 2013.

1. haleakalachick

haleakalachick New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Hello -

We received our baby chicks three days ago in the mail. One of the chicks had a leg that was held straight out to the side. After googling it, I thought it was splayed leg and tried the fixes that are recommended. The band aid trick didn't work as she couldn't balance and wouldn't move with it on. So I tried another fix from the internet and loosely tied a very thin rubber band to both legs and then tied the ends together so that they wouldn't tighten the knots. She seemed to be doing fine and was able to walk around with that contraption, keeping up with other chicks and getting food and water. She's growing and seems healthy otherwise, but this morning I noticed that the rubber band had slipped off one of the feet and so I took it off altogether. Now I'm noticing that the foot that was bothering her is turning a dark red color and looks like it's just dying. She doesn't seem able to move the toes but can balance on it. Of course I'm worried that I was unintentionally cutting off circulation with the rubber band although I had the knot very very loose. Have I done more harm than good by trying to help. I'm so upset thinking I've made her leg worse and now can't be fixed? What to do?

Thanks in advance for advice!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be possible that the leg is damaged from the rubber band. I tried a wide rubber band in a figure 8 once on a splay leg chick, but was worried about that happening, and had better luck with a bandaid cut in half lengthwise. Hopefully, the leg will get better, but watch for signs of necrosis or infection. I would put the chick down if that happens.

3. haleakalachick

haleakalachick New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Thank you for your reply and interest in my little chick! The foot seems to be doing better today, blood seems to be flowing into the toes and they are looking healthier after appearing to be shriveled up and almost "dead" looking at the edges and the toenails. However, as you can see from the photo, the leg is terribly swollen. The back little part of the foot is sortof crushed underneath the rest of the heel and while the chick is not keeping the leg out to the side as it was before, it still is off center to some degree. How can I help my little chick? Thanks in advance for more insight from any of the members on this board. The chick is walking around fine, getting food and water and growing. By fine I mean it can get where it needs to go, but obviously compensating for injured leg.

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm so happy he is a little better. Perhaps you can do massages and warm compresses to his swollen leg. That might help the leg swelling go down.

5. haleakalachick

haleakalachick New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    That was really good advice. I had been afraid to touch the foot for fear of making the leg worse. But, this evening sat down and gave little chick a nice long foot massage, rubbing in arnica cream (homeopathic medicine for swelling, muscle aches and pain) while I worked the toes and leg. I saw the swelling go down almost immediately. Although not perfect yet, hugely improved! So surprising how fast the leg improved during the massage. I also used a cold compress in between rubbing. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself, because now that you mention it, it seems so obvious. But, that's why it's so helpful to get advice, it never even entered my mind to start rubbing the chicken's leg! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by