Baby chick behaviors?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AlotaBitCountry, Mar 6, 2012.

1. AlotaBitCountry

AlotaBitCountry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Ord Nebraska
    Im new to having baby chicks, my grandmother has alot of grown chickens but im raising 3 Buff Orpingtons myself this time around. I notice a few things they do and i just wonder why they do them or what it means.

sometimes when they run and flap around, one of the others will go up and they have almost like a stand off, they stand real close and stick their necks up real tall like they are bucking up to eachother. is this what they are doing? are they just establishing a pecking order or deciding who is the boss??

what are some things chicks do that show they are just having fun or playing around and what are some behaviors (besides trying to peck at eachother) should i watch out for?

2. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Chest bumps are a normal part of baby chicken behavior. Chickens have a very clear and distinct pecking order. Just like young kids and teenagers showing each other who is boss, young chickens do it too.

Sometimes even my mature, aged hens will try to chest bump the cats or the dogs.

Unless they are acting outwardly violent with feathers being plucked out, endless chasing, loud screeching and unhappy peeping that doesn't settle down within a few seconds, then I would not worry.

Using a red 250 watt brooder light keeps them calmer and quieter than using a bright white light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by