Baby Chick Bleeding! Cord area! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Up-the-Creek, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I had a chick hatch about an hour ago, I din't notice nothing at first, but then I noticed he was bleeding from his cord area, and is bleeding pretty good. I put some neo-sporin on it and held towels on it. It seemed to quit bleeding so far. What else do I need to do??

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Put some flour on it so it cakes up and stops the bleeding. If you have it with other chicks you will need to seperate it as they will peck at it. For some reason they just seem to notice stuff like that and usually won't leave it alone.

Good luck with your chick.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    That is all you can do. Put it back in the bator and leave it. It should heal on it's own. Is there other chicks in there with it? If so are they pecking at it?

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    If it stopped bleeding and you already put neosporin on it, it should probably be ok.
    It is ok for you to breathe now [​IMG]
    I don't have any experience with incubator chicks, but I think just leave it with the rest of them. nice and warm. It should be fine as long as no other chicks pick on it.

5. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thank you so much! It seemed to be still bleeding a little so we floured its butt and it seems okay for now. We are keeping a good eye on it,the others don't seem to be bothering it. Why would this situation occur or is it one of those flucks of nature??

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  6. MsBabcockFarmer

MsBabcockFarmer New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    I had this same issue today. I know it's been a long time since you posted this, but can you tell me how the chick turned out? Did it survive? I'm afraid my chick bled too long before I realized something was wrong. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by