baby chick bloody poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urban chicks, Oct 2, 2012.

1. urban chicks

urban chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    please help me i ordered 3 chicks from a hatchery and they came today, 1 buff orpington, 1 barred rock, and 1 white rock. the white rock chick makes bloody runny poop. and it has a closed injury below the vent. the chick is day old. the chick eats drinks and it is active.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What does the closed injury below the vent look like?

3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Possible cocci, but being so young and bloody poo is something new to me.

4. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    ummm its a scab, aka dried blood but the blood is coming from the vent not the injury

5. MaineGigi

MaineGigi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Maine
    The closed injury is probably the umbilicus where it was attached in the egg, being a new chick I would think that's what it is. Should dry out and disappear. The bloody poop is probably coccidia. I use DE, you can do a search on it. There are meds you can get from your farm/feed store but don't wait long. It can be deadly if not treated quickly. Hope this helps.
    Cathy

6. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    thank you :)

7. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    I heard to give the chick some red pepper, should i try that since i can't go to any store tonight.

8. ChickensAreSweet

I agree that it is most likely the umbilicus. It will fall off on its own.

Having just been shipped from a hatchery- hmm- I have never seen coccidiosis appear that quickly. But that doesn't mean that that isn't the diagnosis. I agree that it would be beneficial to begin treatment for coccidiosis right away as even though they haven't hit the ground yet, they can get coccidiosis from human transfer of the cocci on shoes, etc.

I keep a bottle of Corid on hand when I rear chicks. It (coccidiosis) can kill them within 24 hours.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. ChickensAreSweet

Red pepper won't be effective as far as I know. They need a medicine that will kill coccidia. If you search BYC you will find many threads on it....

Search for "coccidiosis treatment" or "Corid Sulmet coccidiosis" (some feed stores only carry Sulmet, which doesn't treat as many strains of it). Corid is in the cattle section of the feed store.

10. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    but i live in new york i don't think i have any feed stores close to me omg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by