baby chick born with a twisted leg

drdrew

Chirping
Jan 2, 2023
lebanon
I had eggs in the incubator and yesterday they started hatching.
all the chicks seem well and healthy but theres this one baby between them it was born with a twisted leg that goes to his side kind of like perosis but it can’t be a nutritional deficiency because the chick came out of the egg like this
it’s hard for him to move around so he crawls flapping his little wings and pushes with his left leg and just drags the right on on his side
is this just a malformation during the incubation or is this some kind of disease that could affect the whole flock

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 25
but it can’t be a nutritional deficiency because the chick came out of the egg like this
Splayed leg.. if that's what is.. as well as many other deformities is very much is caused by (or at least can be) a nutritional deficiency in the hatching egg itself from the breeder diet.. sometimes even from an individual hen who either needs more or has different forage habits than her counterparts.

That is if it's not twisted with a valgus/varus deformity.. I can't tell from the pic. Other views may be helpful. Is the twist at the knee or the hip?

Do you have access to a B complex at all.. or any other riboflavin containing supplement.. even a childrens multi vitamin?

Not likely one of the symtptoms seen from avian specific disease.. that I'm aware of. It's not something that I would worry about effecting the whole flock..

I would however consider culling instead of fixing.. simply as a means of not possibly losing track of and accidentally breeding it forward.. as even a nutrient deficientcy in a hatching egg is a sign of genetic weakness. This is of course a hard core perspective and may not be the appropriate suggestion for all keepers.

Congrats on your babies!

Splayed leg.. if that's what is.. as well as many other deformities is very much is caused by (or at least can be) a nutritional deficiency in the hatching egg itself from the breeder diet.. sometimes even from an individual hen who either needs more or has different forage habits than her counterparts.

That is if it's not twisted with a valgus/varus deformity.. I can't tell from the pic. Other views may be helpful. Is the twist at the knee or the hip?

Do you have access to a B complex at all.. or any other riboflavin containing supplement.. even a childrens multi vitamin?

Not likely one of the symtptoms seen from avian specific disease.. that I'm aware of. It's not something that I would worry about effecting the whole flock..

I would however consider culling instead of fixing.. simply as a means of not possibly losing track of and accidentally breeding it forward.. as even a nutrient deficientcy in a hatching egg is a sign of genetic weakness. This is of course a hard core perspective and may not be the appropriate suggestion for all keepers.

Congrats on your babies!
thank you that was very informative and helpful
i actually bought the eggs from someone so i dont know much about the parents nutrition but the hip is fine and the twist happens at the knee of the bird
i’m just waiting for a couple of them to dry well in the incubator so they’re all together in the brooder before giving them the BIO-VAC B1 vaccine

Back
Top Bottom