baby chick born with his/her head bent back..... what can i do???????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by floppsie, May 19, 2010.

1. floppsie

floppsie New Egg

May 19, 2010
    i have a 2 day old baby chick that was born with his head tilted backwards n causing him/her to look up almost all the time...
    he/she has gotten much stronger and can now walk with out fliupping over most of the time. i havent seen him/her eat or drink yet. he will put his head down n walk fine for a little bit, but not for long. im not sure what i can or should do?????? please help floppsie :~)
    thanks for helping me FLOPPSIE

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I just had one born last Saturday like that. His little head was always straight up, then he would fall over backwards. I gave him a small drop of Poly Vi Sol vitamins without iron every morning and night. He is all better now. I'm thinking he had wry neck.

3. KNP

KNP Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I'm no expert but had something similar happened here a few years ago. The chick had a twisted neck (named her "pretzel") so instead of putting her down I lifted her up by the head a couple times a day. May have been a coincidence but her neck began to straighten out, and she eventually became a protective straight necked momma hen. Might be worth a try?

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have a week old chick from the feed store with this same problem. I think some people call it "stargazer neck". I am treating it the same way I treated my 2 month old chick who had wry neck: 2 vitamin E gel tabs a day and 1 squirt of vitamin B12. I researched the wry neck and that combination is what is needed to correct the problem most of the time. It worked in two weeks with my older chick and already after a week, I'm seeing improvement in the little one.

5. floppsie

floppsie New Egg

May 19, 2010
    thank you everyone!!! ill try anything...
    how did you give the B12 and the vit E drops? ill keep you all posted!!!! Floppsie:~)

6. floppsie

floppsie New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Floppsie has just passed away :~(
    thank you to all who tried to help out my poor baby chicken. even thou he/she was only with us for a short time he was loved and will be missed. i am just very thankful that Floppsie went very peacefully!

7. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. I had the same thing happen with one of mine awhile back...she didn't make it either.

8. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Quote:Did it starve/ dehydrate to death? Does not seem very peaceful to me. That's the problem people always are thinking they can "fix" their chickens and chics. Well most of the time you can't and in the meantime they are suffering immense pain and torment.

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I am very sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose them but I will never stop trying and I'm glad you gave this little one a chance.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about the B12 and Vit E. For future reference if you ever need it - the B12 you just give orally, drop by drop in their beaks. The kind I found was flavored so they always drink it right up. The vit E, you have to puncture the gel tab and gently squeeze it into their beaks a little at a time. It's quite sticky so you need to wipe their beaks after or they get all kinds of stuff stuck to it!

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Did it starve/ dehydrate to death? Does not seem very peaceful to me. That's the problem people always are thinking they can "fix" their chickens and chics. Well most of the time you can't and in the meantime they are suffering immense pain and torment.

Lighten up! Don't be so danged quick to place your judgments on another. You have no right to be so harsh with someone who was experiencing something like this for the first time and was trying to help the chick. No everything in this world of chickens is a NO WIN situation. So, be polite, helpful and offer your advice and experience without being rude, snitty and aggressive or keep your post withdrawn and to yourself.

To the OP I am so sorry the little one passed away. There are so many things that it could have been or that could have caused it. Sometimes it is neurological and others fiable with vitamins and etc. You did the best you could but the chick was just not supposed to be here. In future, keep poly-vi-sol infant drops without iron on hand. It is good to put a few drops in their water the first day or so. It really can make a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by