1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick born with undeveloped foot. Any suggestions on how to help it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Atrayu, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Atrayu

Atrayu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    Hi
    I had several Langshan eggs in the incubator and only one hatched. She is a cute little one, but her foot did not develop all the way and she is only able to scoot around pushing her body with her good leg. When she was first born she was very weak and we didn't think she was going to make it. At first we had to had feed her and give her water a drop at a time. She is now able to eat and drink on her own and scoot her body up to the feeder and water source. She does tire out though. Her bad leg sticks way out and two of her twos are fused together. I don't want to cull her or put her with the other chicks. Any recommendations? Is there a splint I can make for her? Is there any exercises or physical therapy moves I can help her with to build up her strength. Because she has only had contact with me and my father, she has bonded with us. I did put a small stuffed teddy bear for her to snuggle up with so she doesn't feel so alone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks much
    Mark

2. Atrayu

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    I wasn't sure whether to post this in the raising chicks or injuries,diseases section. Sorry, if I put in the wrong place.

3. Atrayu

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    I noticed this afternoon that her second foot is also not formed well. :(

4. Lenaj

Lenaj New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Awe thats sad about your chick..

5. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

Post a picture so It's easy for people to diagnose it

6. RussianChickens

RussianChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Michigan (USA)
    Sense this thread is from 2012. I'm curious to know if this chick has survived. I've heard of chickens living with only one leg.

I'd say for others a splint would be possible long as you did not let it get to tight as the chick grows. I'd use the 1" cloth tape, the bright white kind that rips very easy in your hand. Not the woven athletic tape as that is very hard to un-stick from itself on a bird.

But I would be tempted to let the chicken build strength on its own and see how it does as it gets older. Animals are quite good at coping with missing limbs and deformities.

One legged hen - http://www.redeemingthedirt.com/2012/01/19/everyone-should-have-a-one-legged-chicken/

[​IMG]
    Theodore Roosevelt's pet one-legged rooster

[​IMG]

Read about this one legged hen here http://www.redeemingthedirt.com/2012/01/19/everyone-should-have-a-one-legged-chicken/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by