baby chick breathing very hard and puking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crash450, May 16, 2010.

1. Crash450

Crash450 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    This morning I went out and found one of my girls lying down in the water bowl (its only a lid off a coffee can) so it's not very deep. When removed she would hardly open her eyes with a lot of panting. We gave her a little water and she started puking a clear "goey" substance. I have it seperated it from the others and am waiting for some good signs. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    it sounds like she was drowning. How she doing now?

3. Crash450

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    not sure, at work [​IMG]. What im just not understanding is how a chick 3 inches tall can drown in a lid less than a quartar of a inch tall? Im sure ive seen crazier stuff happen but Im just now thinking that her crop was slightly enlarged. Is this normal for a 2/3 day old chick? Ive never raised chicks before; only at least year old hens. Any help would be amazing, im just so tired of losing my girls after a cougar(yes a cougar) got loose in my area and killed 19 in one night.
    Thank you all very much.

4. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm not sure.... we almost had on drown in about a half an inch of water last year. Do you think the crop was full because it had been eating? If its just eating chick starter I doubt theres a crop problem. I hope someone else chimes in with a better answer..

5. Crash450

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    The crop was not hard at all, very squishy. Maybe i simply noticed it more due to the fact the chick was wet. Im hoping when i get home (4am) the little girl has escaped her quarntine and is doing wonderfull. I massaged her crop and that got her to puke a little but i quit doing this because, 1. i dont know what im doing and 2. I wasnt sure if this was good or bad for the little girl. I appreciate your help. It has given me much to think on.

6. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    sounds like she has a sour crop. i just lost a chick to this.

is her crop enlarged but more like a little balloon than being filled with seeds?
    and her throw up is clear but slimy?

the kind byc members helped me and gave me a lot of advice back then when i went through it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=334268

here's the link.
    i hope you can save her.

7. Crash450

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    Thank you very much, i read all the post and this seems to be what she is doing. She is also a banty, not sure what breed but it is a very grey color. I will do all I can. I HATE losing my girls. Thank you all. Pray for her.

8. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  9. Crash450

May 16, 2010
    New Middletown, Indiana
    Well I just got home and found her dead. Stupid 12 hour shifts [​IMG] I hate not being able to do anything about it but at least next time I will know what to do. Thank you all very much.

10. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by