Baby Chick buying question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AbbigailAcres, Mar 3, 2016.

1. AbbigailAcres

AbbigailAcres New Egg

Mar 1, 2016
    Hiya all,
    So in a few weeks I will be getting our first chicks. There is a million options on where to get, tractor supply, southern states, Mcmuarry. My question is what is your thoughts on the best location to get baby chicks. Also anyone in eastern/central kentucky that has baby chicks I would much rather by from a local farmer than a big store. Thanks!

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If you can find somewhere that you can pick then up instead of having them shipped, do that. Shipping is very stressful for chicks and can often result in fatalities and sick chicks.

3. AbbigailAcres

AbbigailAcres New Egg

Mar 1, 2016
    I figured that might be the case. I have done a lot of live animal shipping with reptiles and is very stressful on the animal. I hope I can find some locals that I can buy from. But if not Ill have to find a alternative

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe if you join your state thread (just type your state in the search box) and ask there, other BYC members local to you may be able to point you in the right direction for local hatcheries, or other sources of chicks. This may not be something you would consider, but getting older chicks or point of lay pullets, whilst more expensive in the short term are easier to care for and will provide you with eggs sooner!

All the best
    CT

5. Gnarled Carrots

Gnarled Carrots Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    Unless you buy them directly from a farm or someone with backyard chickens, they've more often than not been shipped from a hatchery. A lot of feed lots and farm supply stores get them chicks shipped from hatcheries. Not all chickens survive being shipped when they're a day old, but hatcheries are good about refunding their losses and feed lots/farm supply stores won't show losses to you. If you're looking for specific breeds/genders, you're more likely to find them at hatcheries than feed lots/farm supply stores. Not all stores will sex them and they have limited breeds. Personally, I've always had mine shipped from hatcheries. There's a lot more varieties of chicks and they're usually a little bit cheaper per bird, but you are going to have to pay for shipping costs. I've used an am pleased with My Pet Chicken and Murray McMurray Hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by