Baby Chick Can't Walk ***Updated with Pics***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WindyOaksYokes, Aug 15, 2008.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Hi All,

I need some advice, I had 5 chickies hatch out 2 days ago. One of little ones leg will not straighten and she/he is not walking on it, will not put any weight on it. The joint in the center of the leg seems larger than the other and it is a little hard to straighten it.

Has anyone been through this? What options do I have? Does the poor little thing have any chance at all at survival? Any help would be much appreciated... [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Tes

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Spraddle legs? If so take a bandaid and wrap each sticky end around the legs with the bandage part between the legs. This will help it walk until it's strong enough to walk without it. I hope someone else can help you farther. Do you have any pics. That will help a lot! Could be something wrong with the joint itself if it seems larger [​IMG] Poor baby! Good luck!

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    it might be broken, or the joint popped out...

you can try this web site..

http://www.voy.com/194762/

DCT "specializes" in leg problems.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a slipped tendon to me, they will sometimes do that kicking out of the shell. DCT is an expert in this field.

5. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    The link did not work, I will agree with the joint popped out. that is what it looks like to me. But not sure, because i have never seen or had anything like this. If it helps, the toes are curled up. I will see if I can get a good pic and post it. Wish that like would have worked, I think it would have helped.

Thanks for trying

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
  7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    sorry...typo..didn't show the : in http://

duh.

8. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Here are the pics requested... sorry, very difficult to take pics of the little one... let me know if you need another view or if these will do to help figure out what is wrong... the chickie seems to be learning how to deal with its disablitly and is actually getting around fairly well. I just wish there was something i could do. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    By the way, thank you for the updated link. Yes there is alot of very good informaiton!!! I fear after reading it that their is no cure for my little one, but I will leave that up to you guys to tell me that. At least it is eating and drinking very well... I just wonder if it will be okay in the future...

Thanks again,
    Tes

10. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I have a Cochin with that problem. He's 2 months old and the runt, but alive and happy to be so. He has a hop-limp walk and ranges with his sister just fine. I did try to treat it, but it didn't work. I think he has a quality of life and is one roo that will never sneak attack me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by