Baby chick chirping nonstop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MotherCluckerWA, Mar 31, 2017.

1. MotherCluckerWA

MotherCluckerWA Just Hatched

I have a 4 or 5 day old baby chick who's been acting strange the last couple of days. She started by opening and closing her mouth repeatedly all day yesterday but acting mostly normal otherwise, slightly lethargic. Today she's been chirping nearly nonstop, some of the time with eyes closed. It sounds like a tiny car alarm. Which led me to expect the worst, but I saw her eating and drinking on her own not even 4 hours ago. She's been drinking a probiotic and electrolyte water since Tuesday when I got her and has been on a non-medicated organic feed.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Usually something is not right when they are doing that. Can you describe your brooder set up? Also is she your only chick or do you have others? Did you check her for pasty butt?

3. MotherCluckerWA

She's one of 8 chicks in a hutch in our house. It's a rectangular shape with a feeder and waterer on one side and a 250 watt bulb heat lamp on the other side. The others are acting normally, eating and drinking a ton and walking around the whole hutch being adorable and quirky. I don't think she has pasty butt but I'm new to chicks so I'm not 100% sure what a healthy vent looks like.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sounds like the brooder is fine. You would be able to tell if she was pasted because there would be poop covering her vent and leaving her unable to pass waste, so I'd check for that quickly just to be sure that's not the issue.

5. MotherCluckerWA

Ok she definitely doesn't have pasty butt then. I'm cuddling with her now (possibly risky I know) but it's the only thing that gets her to quiet down even a little.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Just to make sure, what's the temp like under the heat lamp?

7. MotherCluckerWA

I don't have a thermometer actually [​IMG]

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Perhaps she's getting too chilly? The others seem to be doing fine but maybe she is needing to be a little warmer. That may be why when you are holding her she stops screaming - because she's getting warm from you. You might want to check it just to be sure.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does she try to cuddle with the others when they are sleeping? When they are cold they do that. Do you think the others bully her away from the feed and water. I know you said she eats & drinks but maybe she'd like more and doesn't get to it. The chirping (crying) makes me think of a human baby with colic.

10. MotherCluckerWA

I lowered the heat lamp a little bit and they ended up on the opposite side of the brooder. I'll pick up a thermometer today to make sure it's a good temp though. She has been in and out of isolation because I read it's better to seperate her in case she is sick. So maybe she is feeling lonely or cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by