Baby chick corid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andi13, Jul 30, 2014.

1. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Hey all. I'm treating my lethargic 2 week old chick for coccidia using corid. I have the 9.6% oral solution and I have a half gallon (89oz bottle) of water. I thought I read up on the correct dose and used 1/2 tsp but now I'm reading that I didn't nearly use enough. How much Corid should I be using?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use 1 tsp per 1/2 gallon, or 2 tsp per gallon, and 1/2 tsp per quart. If you have an 89 oz bottle of water--that is 3 quarts. A half gallon is 64 ounces.

3. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Oh shoot you're right about 3 quarts.haha Sorry I wrote this real fast before I went back to work. But I will add more corid to make it about 1.5 tsp

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

In addition to the medicated water, you can also give the sick chick a small drop or two of *undiluted* Corid orally (.02ml per 100 grams) for one or two days. This is what I do with mine now and have had great success doing it.

-Kathy

5. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Oh ok I'll try doing the drop it two of undiluted...so is that undiluted drops once a day only for one to two days?

6. casportpony

In addition to the medicated water I would give it one or two very small drops today and maybe tomorrow. Sometimes I give it twice, usually they perk up after just once. If it's a banty chick, do just one small drop. Make sense?

-Kathy

7. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Yes it does! Thanks! I'll give that a try

8. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Is there any way corid could be bad for chicks?

9. casportpony

In very large amounts or if given longer than the recommended time it might cause some problems, but giving one drop, or a few more by mistake (I've done that a few times, lol), no, you'll be fine.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  10. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Ok because I gave my chick about two drops earlier and she has gone downhill pretty fast. I don't think she is going to make it [​IMG] I don't know what to do for her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: