1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick, crooked neck, question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hongisto, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hongisto

Hongisto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Hi all,

We have a baby chick that has a crooked neck and isn't growing as well as the others hatchlings.

Photo shows the problem. Does anyone know what this is? Is there a solution?
    [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Forgive me, but I don't see a crooked neck in the picture---can he not lift his head above that position?

You may want to try giving him some electrolytes in his water. Chickie may grow out of it, or he may not. In the meantime, the electrolytes will help give him an "edge" if he is not growing as quickly as the other chickies.

3. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

are you saying the little guy's neck goes off to the side?...if so, that is 'wry neck'...it's like a stiff neck in a person
    only worse... torticollis is another name for it...
    I had a duck that had wry neck...he couldn't swim due to it but he could do anything else. don't have him anymore
    as a predator got him but he had quite the duck following until then.

best of luck!

4. Hongisto

Hongisto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    thanks, so if electrolytes don't work, it's best to cull?

I'm pretty sure gatorade isn't the solution ;)

5. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    I had a chick with wry neck once. Get her some PolyVisol without iron. It is vitamin drops for human infants. It worked wonderfully for me. I gave a drop twice a day. Next day she was fine. I learned this on BYC. I think the bottle cost around $7. Good to have around. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by