baby chick crowing?!?! or health problem?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShelbyCoral, Jul 24, 2014.

1. So I didn't know where to post this... this is more of help me and or this could be advice for someone.

It's 1:32am here in rainny ohio. I have chicks in a Rubbermaid tub in the basement outside my room. Im in bed and I hear a high pitched chirping sound. I thought the chicks were fighting. I came over to them all sleeping but 1 little one that was standing with its eyes closed. It does the stance to that of a rooster and sound came out. I was like... um? Uh? What? I videoed it but as the video was going, I noticed something that concerned me. It had pasty butt. It crowed again. I noticed it's butt was trying to push. So i grab the chick and brought her into the light.
    She was so swollen! Her vent was red and very tender. I put cold water on it and she didn't like it but got used to it. I also noticed her belly was oftly big for her size. So once I was done cleaning her up, her vent lok really swollen and it was open a little and I saw poop. I tried to get it out but couldnt.

Don't try this at home.
    I squeased the chicks under belly a little and she was trying to push. A boat load of poop came pouring out. I did this twice and once she was done the total poop count was two marble sized poop along with some tiny poop.
    I checked her one last time and nothing came out. I put cold water on her vent for 1 min. Took it off and saw her vent was normal. I put her back in and she went to sleep and 10 min later as I am writing this, she layed down.

Anyone got any ideas on what this is? What caused this or how I can help it? Did I do right? I didnt squease my chick to where it hurt her. I am not strong at all but I know very well that I can crush a chick. She seems happy now and hasn't crowed. I will keep am eye or I should say an ear on her.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd say you did a good job! Pasty butt is essentially constipation. They arrive dehydrated if shipped, and we all know it's difficult to keep fresh water available 24/7 because they fill it with litter. A little organic ACV in the water may also help, but the water itself is the main thing. Another contributing factor is sometimes that they get too hot, which can happen very easily to young chicks. It's always a good thing for their container to be large enough that they can move away from the heat source, as long as there is one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by