1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by susan83, Feb 13, 2014.

1. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    I ordered some chicks from ideal poultry and picked them up a week ago. The first 4 days a few of them had pasty butt so I was washing chicken butt several times a day. That has seemed to stop and every one seemed to be doing fine. I checked on them for the last time before bed last night and everyone was happy, eating drinking and running around the brooder. Being normal little chicks. I woke up this morning and on of my Roos is dead. No sysptoms of illness or stress the night before. So when I woke up it was a lil shocking to find him dead. I ordered 3 Roos and 12 pullets and they also sent me 8 Roos of a different breed for warmth. Everyone else seems fine this morning other than the one who died last night. What could be the cause?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Hard to tell. Often a few birds will succumb from the stress. Since you have extra it sort of makes up the numbers.

3. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    The only thing that bothers me about it is that it was just out of nowhere. Luckily it was one of the extras for warmth as I am trying to already find homes for them. 11 Roos is way to many. So it helped in that since. But other people seem to think it was just one of those things also not disease or something I should worry about. So that puts my mind at ease.

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    We had the exact same thing happen just recently. It was a white warmer roo. Everyone was fine and happy but when I checked 2 hrs later one was dead. Just a sudden death. Shocking and sad.

5. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    My chicks are almost 2 weeks old now and seen very healthy and happy…..but when can I stop worring about sudden chicken death??? Guess I am just a worried momma hen! I have to check on them many times a day and do a head count….lol!

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Mine was 3 wks old when I found it dead. Someone provided me then with a link to an article about sudden death in broiler chickens. It occurs around 3-4 wks. Don't worry and enjoy your chicks. If it happens, it is better now than later and just means something wasn't right with the chick and a sudden death possibly saves them from an agonizing death. Mine are going on 5 wks and I still do a head count[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by