Baby chick died....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 77horses, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    well, our buff cochin chick, Poppy, passed away today. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm really sad about it, and now Pumpkin(her sister) is lonely in the brooder. We don't know why she died... [​IMG] My dad always noticed that she wasn't eating as much as Pumpkin, who is about a week older. Her crop(food sack) was empty a lot, even though she had fresh Chick Started Feed any time she wanted. and she ALWAYS had fresh water to drink. But today, my dad found her in bad shape in the brooder box. Her eyes were half-closed, and her mouth was open. She was looking like she would fall over any minute. [​IMG] So, my dad separated her from Pumpkin, and placed her in a separate box...he mixed the chick starter feed with the fresh water and dipped her beak in it several times once and a while, so she could eat/drink. She started acting normal again, after 2 full hours of my dad nursing her. But then a little while later, he heard flapping in the box, looked in, and she was dead. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Is this the one that had pasty butt? If it is, did you or your dad clean it and keep it clean?

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    That is so sad. Sorry to hear it. [​IMG]

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I don't know. Her butt seemed fine(what do you mean by "Pasty"?) She was bought from someone at a chickenstock meeting, and she had been outside for a little while. It was the first time she had been out of the brooder. [​IMG]
    Time for bed. I will check back tomorrow!
    Thanks for any advise. [​IMG]

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    The only thing that seemed to be unusual about her was that she was not very active from the beginning(but she was after settling in) and she seemed to have bad balance. When we picked her up, she would easily tip over and then flap her wings to try and stay up. When we walked while holding her, she would lean backwards, like she thought she would fall.....??? [​IMG]

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry for your chickie. It is pretty cold out. I don't know how old your chick was, but I would keep them in under a heat lamp until they are feathered out. THat is like 7 weeks at least. Make sure the brooder is heated properly and that they don't spend time outside until they are old enough. But maybe you know all that. [​IMG]

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Mother nature is nasty to us chicken lovers! I'm sure u cared for ur babe. Sometimes we just have to wonder. Sorry for ur loss. If u love ur babes as much as I do....I know how u feel! [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss. I lost a chick recently. I think she just wasn't meant to be. She was slow from the start and only lived 3 days. She wouldn't eat or drink. I brought her in the house and dipped her beak in water often and put her on a heating pad on my lap where she died. All I can say is that we tried our best. It's amazing how fast we bond with them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sorry about you loss, Your not having good luck this year huh ???? Well, sometimes chicks just fail to thrive and nature takes it's course !!!! Sorry hun !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by