Baby chick dies from nerve disorder, please help identify sickness

katecox

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Purchased our first little flock less than a week ago, all chicks probably in the 7 -10 day age range. All looked healthy and happy for 5 days then on the 5th day in the a.m. our Buff O chick started chirping incessantly. In less then an hour her neck was distorted (craning to the left and upwards), she was traveling in circles, within the next 30 minutes she goes into what appears to be a series of seizures, she starts flipping and rolling over. During this time I have separated her and have tried to give her water -- in the later stages she couldn't swallow it. After her seizures it appeared she was both paralyzed and blind. She lay there for about another 2 hours with a rapid heartbeat until I am guessing she had a heart attack and died. This was so painful to watch, we all felt so helpless despite frantic calls to vets, feed stores, etc... After much time spent online I am guessing either Marek's disease (but it says it appears after 6 weeks of age), or Crazy Chick Disease. Any thoughts from the forum. I am of course wanting to identify so I can understand contamination of the remainder of the flock and can if needed prepare our little girl who is very sad.

Thank you!!

Emma-ly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
so my chick just arrived today about 2 days old. She was fine until about 1 hour ago she fell onto her back and was twitching. My hubby thought she was just scratching her chin, but it's completely involuntary and occurring every other minute or two. That's the only part though that is similar. Her neck never looked distorted or anything.

now I have her in her own box in the brooder since I don't know what she might have. They look like seizures and everytime it happens I keep expecting her to just freeze and die...I'm pretty nervous..

katecox

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Emma-ly

Oh I am so sorry. It is so sad to watch. The only thing that the feed store recommended was to put some electrolytes and vitamins in her water. If you have that on hand I would try that, then dunk her beak in water so she takes some. Sounds somewhat similar --

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
Most people call this wry neck. It happens to chicks. I have dealt effectively with it when it is caught immediately with 3 drops of Polyvisol which is a liquid children's vitamin without iron found at any pharmacy or grocery store. Do three drops three times a day and it seems to clear up. Apparently it is a vitamin defficiency.

Sorry about your chick!!

Emma-ly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Quote:give her 3 drops directly or in her water? I'll have to go to the store in the morning. hopefully she makes it til then.

Top Bottom