Baby chick doesn't stop making noise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sofia96, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Sofia96

Sofia96 New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    My araucana X Malay game fowl week old baby chick just doesn't stop making a peeping sound. It doesn't open its mouth when doing it, and even does it in her sleep. Its really weird because there's always food and clean water and heat, things a chick might need etc. My hen won't take care of her I'm guessing because she knows its not her baby and looks very different to the other chicks. When she does need something she opens her mouth and does a proper chirp, I'm really worried. It literally makes the noise pretty much the whole day, non stop. What can I do to help my poor baby?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's warm enough?

-Kathy

3. Sofia96

Sofia96 New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    I'm pretty sure it would be warm enough, it was 32°C today which is about 90°F and I even put the heater on when I took her inside, so then I thought it may be too warm for her so I turned it off, and it made no difference, she's been doing this since day 2.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

She really needs a companion.

5. Sofia96

Sofia96 New Egg

Oct 22, 2014

I'm too scared to put my other chicks with her because even though they all are about the same age, the others are about four times the size of her

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

7. masloozinit76

masloozinit76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    If you are scared to put her in with the others, which shouldn't be an issue at their age even with size difference, then get a stuffed another or feather duster to put in with her. She needs something to snuggle with. Chicks don't like to be alone. Have you also checked her vision? I had one chick, housed with 7 others, that did that and it turned out she was blind. She was chirping because she was scared and felt alone. Now that the others help guide her, she does great. She is now 7 weeks old and thriving wonderfully, still blind.

Chances are though, it is simply because she is lonely.

*Edited to say, I raised Japanese bantam and golden comets together. Almost a week in age difference, the bantams were way smaller than the comets. Never had any issues introducing them at that very young age. I now have varied ages of chicks together. At intro time, black sex links were 4 weeks old, easter eggers were 2 weeks old, and barred rocks were a few days old. They never fought and still run as a flock. The only time I had "issues" was introducing these ladies to my big ladies. That intro took 3 weeks to do but now my flock of 12 run together fine even with the young ones still being babies.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd agree. I've taken new chicks from broody hens and moved them to an inside brooder with other older chicks. I'd just keep an eye on them but suspect they'd be okay.

Recently Robbie and EE a young roo had to be moved in with some older birds. Long story. Anyhow I kept them closed in the coop for a few days. Later when letting them out here was Robbie side by side with the oldest Marans rooster. Saw Robbie and the Marans roosting side by side too. Both are black but can't say for sure that helped.

I'd put them together near bedtime so they spend the night together in the dark.

9. Sofia96

Sofia96 New Egg

Oct 22, 2014

I took a chick from the hen and put it with this one but she started crying and it didn't help the other one at all. I tried a feather duster and everything. But I have realised she is much more calm if a person is with her and cries anytime she is left alone

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well now there are other reasons why chicks cry.

They could be cold or hungry or too hot. How long did you leave them before you decided being together wasn't helping? It may take a while to get together. Be patient.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by