Baby chick doing flips

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by garagegirl, Nov 30, 2016.

1. garagegirl

garagegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Hi there I have a question.
    I have a chick that is about a week old that we hatched out of the incubator which was full and this is the only chick that hatched.
    It was fine but now he puts his head down and does a somersault gets up and does it again.
    He is eating,drinking and walking fine.

When watching this chick I think he is lonely and is trying to get close to his shadow because he looks down watches his shadow then he puts his head down like he's trying to cuddle his shadow.
    We put a mirror in with him and a little stuffed animal, we also hold and talk to him when we go in there with him.

I don't know if it's a him but when we hatch that's what we usually get lol.

If anyone knows what is happening or has had this happen to them please help thanks.

2. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    That sounds like a pretty unique chick! Have you thought about getting a couple more chicks to keep him company? What did he do with the mirror and stuffed animal? If you are thinking of getting a buddy for him you shouldn't hold him to much. He would rely on you for everything including company. If you get a new chick he may dislike it and try to fight it. My chicks do that and they were born together. Do you have anymore chickens?

3. garagegirl

garagegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    I have thought about finding another chick but hate to bring one from another place. I have other chickens but they are outside and much bigger.
    He pecked at the mirror as he was happy to see another chick the animal not much response he will cuddle in a sock if I can keep him from flipping.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    He could have a vitamin deficiency. Provide him with some Poultry Vitamins. Look for one that has B2, Vitamin E and selenium.

A chick will do better when it has company, so the mirror and stuffed animal are a good start. As suggested, if you can add a couple of chicks close to the same age would be ideal.

Do some searching here on BYC about keeping a lone chick and how to integrate when he is old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by