Baby chick drool/spit up. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KaylaBird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    So my chicks are a little over one week old. I have two in the brooder right now and so far they have been great. Seem to be acting completely normal. Today I was holding our little RIR and she suddenly let out a huge long clear mucusy drool from her beak. Almost as if she had spit up, but it was clear. There was quite a bit of it though. I put her back in the brooder and she went back to eating/sleeping. Should I be worried? I've never had this happen before.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you tipped her upside down or sideways, she may have vomited. Check her crop to make sure it isn't hard and full (impacted crop) from eating pine shavings. Just keep an eye on her.

3. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    They are eating a lot of pine shavings. How do I check their crops?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I wouldn't worry too much about her if its just a one time ocurrence. My chickens sometimes "throw up" if they drink water too quickly, or if I turn them upside down.

5. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    The crop is an enlarged portion of the esophagus that holds food until it can move down the digestive tract. You should be able to see it on the chest (looks like a small lump--it will be easier to see at night because chickens eat more before they go to sleep). Feel it, and note whether it is rock hard or squishy and balloon-like. A impacted crop would feel really hard, and a sour crop would feel squishy. It will generally feel rather hard, but if it looks larger than the crops of the other chicks or feels especially hard/soft, there may be a problem.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Ok so I checked all of my chicks crops. The other two have squishy and kind of grainy crops (if im feeling them right). And the problem chick I couldn't really get a good feel on because every time i tried to feel the area she would squeal and try to get away, which leads me to believe it might be painful for her. What should I do if there is some problem with the crop? So far they are all acting perfectly normal. I gave them a little bowl of sifted dirt to bath in, and so far they are just eating it, which I assume is a good thing.

7. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    If you think that there's a problem with the crops, I'd give them some olive oil. This might help loosen any blockage. Give probiotics, too, as it will help if the bird has sour crop.

8. KaylaBird

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    Do I mix the olive oil with water or just give them some straight? and would yogurt work for probiotics?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really don't think you have a problem, I think your chicks are probably fine. But with a small chick, only a few drops of olive oil should be given. A teaspoonful is the dose for a large hen. Yogurt has too much calcium in it for chicks. If you give the yogurt tonight, be sure and get probios tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by