baby chick dropped and leg sore

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catterbug, May 28, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    Our 3 week old RIR was dropped today. She seems fine other than I notice she lifts her leg sometimes as she walks or stands. Is it just sore or is it broken? How do you know when a chicks leg is broken and what would you recommend I do?

2. catterbug

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I was just watching my RIR and she seems to be walking on it but it is a bit stiff looking. Do I need to be concerned? She does have a slight limp too. She was just eating ok.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If she is using the leg, most likely it is not broken. Is there swelling or discoloration? She probably landed on it strange and it is sprained or bruised. She will be ok if she is eating and drinking. Just keep an eye on it and her for any signs that she is in alot of pain (not eating, listless, etc.). Good luck.

4. catterbug

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    How do you know if it is broken? Swelling and discoloration? Also I can't find anywhere what splayed leg is. What is that?

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If it were broken it might be misshapen, discolored, she wouldn't be using it at all, she would be holding it up or not walking at all. Splay leg or spraddle leg usually occurs shortly after birth. One or both legs will stick out to the side. It can caused by chicks being on a slippery surface like newspaper. I will post a pic of spraddle leg.

This is pretty severe spraddle leg in both legs.
    [​IMG]
    This is how to fix spraddle leg. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. catterbug

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    Thank you so much. Your post has put me at ease. I have been watching her all morning and I think you were right. She probally just bruised it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by