Baby chick dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by photo chick, May 11, 2009.

1. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is day 3 of having our chicks. They all seemed to be doing so well and I have been very pleased. But today when I checked on them one of the chicks is not moving but still alive. She is definitely lighter than the others and is not doing well at all.

We have been unable to keep the temp. consistently at 90 degrees in the brooder. Last night it was at 86 degrees. Also, they were out of water by the morning. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I dipped her beak in the fresh water a few times, she drank it down and opened her eyes - I even got a little peek out of her. But right now she is in with the others, just squatting where I put her.

At this point, is there anything else I can do?

2. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    It doesn't look good, but try to get some PolyViSol into her (the one without iron) and a little bit of liquid honey. Just dab some on the side of her beak and she will take it in when she opens her mouth. Make sure she is protected from being trampled by the other chicks and stays warm but does not overheat. I would put a little stuffed animal in with her so she can rest against something that feels like mom.

Good luck!!

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Sometimes, we just lose them. Letting the brooder drop to 86' will not cause a healthy chick to fail. Don't beat yourself up about this. [​IMG]

4. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    She died.
    I just hope that I don't loose anymore. I know that it's always a possibility but I just didn't expect it to happen to me. So sad.

5. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Oh dear I'm sorry! [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you haven't already done so, you need to find a way to be sure they do not run out of water. But it is not likely this caused the death since the rest were fine. It just happens. Sorry.

7. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    sorry to hear it

lost one today too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by