BABY CHICK EPEDIMIC HELP...........

speedabug

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
I came home yesterday to find one of my 6 week old chicks lying in the dirt. I picked him up and took him inside. I feed him baby chick food mixed into some water. I also gave him some apple juice to get some sugar in him. She made it through the night but at nine this morning she had past away. When I went to check on the rest of the chicks I found another one with the same symtons. I cleaned out all their water containers. I still have the chick but I dont want it to suffer I cant bring myself to kill it. If anyone can tell me what to do please do it. I dont want to lose anymore chicks.....
hit.gif

It started like they were just trying to go to sleep. After awhile she couldnt get up. Here had was just laying over she couldnt hold it up. She wasnt breathing through her nose she was breathing through her mouth. Every time she did her tongue would make this poping noise. Eventually this stuff became to come out here nose it was clear. I was holding her when she past away then I notice a taer come out of both eyes as of she was crying it was clear alsa. I about to cry but this is all I can tell you.
hit.gif
:(

I just had to cull a flock of 15 birds all about 5 weeks old. They had trouble breathing watery eyes and became very lethargic. One died and I called the breeder I had just bought them from. Turns out they had ILT a type of herpes virus in chickens. There are vaccinations for the birds but they are life time carriers after being infected. The vaccination will make them "better" but at anytime they can shed the virus and infect other birds. Since I want to have organic chickens I couldnt vaccinate and thought it better if they couldnt spread the virus to other birds. I would contact the breeder you got them from and ask if any of their birds had ILT.
Look up ILT on the internet and it will give you a list of symptoms.
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom