baby chick exposed intestines

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chookmad, Jan 24, 2009.

1. chookmad

chookmad New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    help just hatched 24 hrs my baby chick bleed from cord area and now it has opened and its intestines exposed.
    Was going to irrigate area with saline and apply a patch or fixamol. Any suggestions. It is reasonably strong.[​IMG]

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Poor thing! I've read that others stitched openings on adult birds. I don't know if it would work on a tiny one. Hopefully some of the experts will be chiming in with more help.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I had one do that. I took a q-tip, coated it with beadine and the exposed intestines. I turned the chick on it's back. Using the q-tip I softly coaxed the intestines back in , a little at a time. I took a round band-aid and put over the area. I called her Bandy-butt, she lived until she was about a year old. I think she got cocci and passed. But she was a happy , healthy bird up until then.
    Best wishes

4. LittleChickenGirl2011

LittleChickenGirl2011 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    im having the same problems... but i can get the darn bandaids to stick!

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    In my experience, I cull. A great majority of these chicks do not survive but a few days at best. I wish you luck. Make the decision you can live with and the right decision for you and the chick.[​IMG]

6. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    hows the little chick doing now? if the band aid wont stick to the chick, try fastening it with another band aid on top or wrap a thin piece of bandage round the belly (but not too tight that it causes more problems, just tight enough to keep it in place)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by