Baby chick eye infection???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brookeee2013, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Brookeee2013

Brookeee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    this little guy has had eye problems since he was born and hes about 2 weeks old. Is there anything i can do for his eye? its runny and crusty and sometimes he cant open it. Also, could this kill him? sometimes it gets crusted shut and when i open it clear goo oozes out. PLEASE HELP!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Looks like some kind of cut near his eye. I would put sterile eye drops in his eye everyday, to keep
    Infection from building. And maybe try to get him on terymyacin( cant' remember how to spell it) it is a low dose antibiotic that will help keep the infection from spreading. If its been going on this long and he is staying active and eating and drinking well, he should be okay. If he isn't eating or drinking normally try giving him Sav-a-chick in the water to keep him hydrated and scrambled eggs or raw egg yolk is a great protein and calorie source. :fl hope he gets better.

3. Brookeee2013

Brookeee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    would this work?

[​IMG]

and they always have save a chick probiotics and electrolytes in their water. they have all had it since they were born. and i give them scrambled eggs about twice a week. so i figured that would cure it. i just dont want to put anything in his eye that could hurt it

4. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    No, you need something that says sterile eye drops or natural tears, new bottle is best, this way you know its "clean". The redeyes has chemicals in it that may have an adverse reaction on its eye.

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    How is he doing?

I've found that coconut oil works wonders for eye infections. It is an antibacterial, that works internally, and externally. My hen got a piece of hay in her eye, and after I got it out, and "cleaned" it, it became infected. I dropped the oil in her eye, three times a day, for about two days, and after that, her eye was clear, and the infection had gone away.

6. I could be wrong but it looks like s disease that just recently passed through my flock if his eyes crust up then it most likely is but the good thing is it is easily treated they sell stuff to put in the water and medicated food.

7. SaltyPaws

SaltyPaws Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Although I'm very inexperienced with chickens, I have used coconut oil extensively with infant animals and sick/injured/infected humans with fantastic results. I would definitely try coconut pop-up extra virgin cold pressed for best results.

8. ldomerese

ldomerese Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    This is my 4 day old chick (silkie) he has had this eye infection since day two and i dont know what to do i have to force feed him and make him drink because yesterday it spread to his other eye so he cant even see please any suggestions would help tremendously thanks ....and the last pic is the puss coming out of his eye its not his eye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i have to open his eye every half hour or the presser from the puss in his eye builds up. It gets crusted over every haf hour as well

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    One eye swollen, then traveling to the other eye? Sounds like Chronic Respiratory Disease. Young bird. I would try 1/4 cc of Tylan 50 down the throat for 5 days. If any old hands think that is too big a dose let me know. I've never had to treat a bird that young and I usually inject it instead of give it orally.

10. ldomerese

ldomerese Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    well the left one has white foamy bubblesand the right one is the one you see and how could eye problems be related to resptory problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by