1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick eye won't open

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wendychicklawyr, Feb 23, 2014.

1. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Just got my babies one golden campine has eye problem I put water on them one opened the other didn't. She's the weakest but still active any suggestions.

2. mlynch33

mlynch33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    I am also having this same problem with a chick that hatched yesterday. It's eating and drinking ok, not great, but is pretty lethargic and not active like the rest of the group. Sometimes it'll open 1 eye, but most of the time both are closed. I'm wondering if this is the reason for the lethargy. Hopefully you will get some suggestions soon!

3. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    I'm trying to force electrolytes with sugar water on her ..praying

4. lghrnlvr

lghrnlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    orangeburg sc
    In my last hatch I had a chick with the same problems. I cleaned the eye a few times a day thinking that it was getting stuck shut with crusties. 2 days after it ha
    tched, it passed away.
    From the time she hatched she didn't act right. she was never very active and wouldn't eat or drink unless I helped.

5. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Luckily I think mine opened her eyes..they are very tiny tho

6. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Baby's eyes are open ..tiny little eyes and she's very strong -- I think putting water on them first day helped her along with sugar water electrolytes etc. mine were only in transit 1 day tho I can't imagine 3 days for chick ..no way

7. donnahawkins

donnahawkins New Egg

May 19, 2014
    My doesn't open either eye the other chick born same day has both eyes open. The chick is loud but always leans forward. Can anyone help

8. mlynch33

mlynch33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    I had posted above back in February when I had a chick who wouldn't open her eyes. Everyone told me that this kind of thing happens and I just had to let it happen, good or bad. I refused to believe it since this was the only chick I got out of my favorite hen (who has since passed). I hand fed this chick for about a day, making it eat and drink. Finally I just forced the eye open using my thumb and forefinger. I'm sure this is not recommended but I was convinced she wasn't doing well because she couldn't see. Once I did that, I only had to do it again maybe 2 or 3 more times, much easier to open each time. After that, she was fine and never had a problem again. She is about 3 months old now and doing just fine! In fact, I think it's created a special bond that we have since she follows me everywhere. If you're like me, I couldn't sit back and "let nature happen". What's the worse that can happen if they aren't eating on their own and may die anyways?

2 people like this.
  9. Saad25525

Saad25525 New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    I have 15 cotunix quail eggs 2 hatched I should say that I helped them to hatched both are weak I help them to eat and drink. 1 died due to my careless ness .the other on had not opened his eyes yet and he is weak. What is the reason???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by