Baby Chick Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LuLuBelle, Apr 18, 2009.

1. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    So, I'm a new mom, 2 weeks as of tomorrow of having our little bantams. When I went to TSC to get the chicks I also bought some Dumor Chick Starter/Grower 20% feed.

This is what the website says:
    "Complete formula for starting and growing chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, quail, pheasant and chukar. Designed for chickens, ducks and geese from 0 to 10 weeks of age and turkeys, quail, pheasant and chukar from 6 to 12 weeks of age. Provides essential nutrients for optimum development. Additional vitamins and minerals are not required. Chick starter/grower 20%."

Is there something else that I need to feed them? Is that considered to be medicated feed? And I think I read somewhere that they need some grit?

We have had the chicks for about 2 weeks, and we are guessing that 5 of them were 1 week old when we got them, and the other one was about 2 weeks old.

Thank you for your help!![​IMG]

2. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    You don't need to feed them anything else and, if you only feed them commercial starter you don't need to have grit available. If you let them free range or feed them scratch/grains, you will need to have grit available.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dumor is not medicated. The medication that is in starter is Amprolium, a thiamine blocker, and you can actually add that yourself, if you can find it. I don't think TSC carries it, at least they do not around here. I'm very disenchanted with TSC. Thank goodness I have three feedstores in town much closer than that place. Watch the feeds because I've heard way too many people buying contaminated and/or moldy feed from them lately.

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Dunmor chick starter that TSC sells is medicated I know some sell also non medicated chick starter also. Check your label on your bag it will say if it carrries Amprolium or not. If it is medicated you will not have to add anything. If not that is up to you if you wish to add amprolium to your feed.

Alot will depend on how many chicks you are raising and how clean you keep them if you should feed medicated or not.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had never seen Dumor medicated at TSC around here. Glad to hear they do have a medicated variety. I have switched to non medicated recently because the amprolium at preventative levels is not working here anymore. I have to treat for cocci with every batch that hits the ground and it is definitely not a cleanliness issue. So, from now on, I'll just treat with Corid when cocci rears its ugly head.

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    This information is really true
    as the ground can have 9 difference kinds of coccidiosis
    also one can try one of the poultry suppliers
    http://www.google.com
    entersmith's poultry supplies
    they will have some ind of amproylium [products
    they are honest people and fanciers of all kinds of poultry
    they live in Bucyrus Ks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by