Baby chick feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenbuddy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I have 25 chicks coming in the mail. How many "feeding outlets" should I have? (aka how many spots in a feeder should I have) I bought one with seven holes today, and I'm almost positive that's not enough, even though the chicks don't all eat at the same time.

Sorry, this question is so confusing. I have trouble describing things sometimes. [​IMG] It's been a long time since I had baby chicks. [​IMG]

2. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I would think that feeder would be fine. YOur right they will not all eat at the same time.

3. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have a long one and it is fine for 30. They dont all eat at the same time unless you dont keep it full...then its a free for all. [​IMG]

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

If you really find 7 isn't enough, just add a little bowl or something. I wouldn't spend $$ on another one you probably won't need [​IMG]

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I use a small round one for the first few days. When the chicks start hoping around good, I switch to the long feeder. The small one will help everyone find the food without separating them. I have had newely hatched chicks get away from the heat and not hop back over.

6. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

An egg carton with the top torn off also works good. Only fill it 1/3 full though!

This is how I feed for the first few days.

Ma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by