Baby Chick Found on Side of Road - Help with breed/sex/age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 8hipchicks, May 26, 2010.

1. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    My daughter and I were driving home from a meeting around midnight the other night and she tells me to stop and turn around because she’s certain she’s seen a small chick huddled in the dirt on the side of the road.

I turn around and, sure enough, there, illuminated under a streetlight on the dark main road, is this huddled baby chick.

Obviously we were concerned and scooped the precious little one up and brought it home. Luckily, my husband was really great about this new, if temporary, addition to the family.

Can’t figure out where it came from or how it got there. [​IMG]

We lost my daughter’s favorite hen 15 month old BO named Jasmine two weeks ago (we think it was her heart – no signs of illness – she just faded) [​IMG] and my daughter is convinced that Jasmine knows how sad she is and this little foundling is Jasmine’s way of helping my daughter to heal from the loss. Uh-oh.

Any help on breed/age/sex would be appreciated. To me she/he looks to be about 3-4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    How beautiful of your daughter to feel that way [​IMG]
    Don't burst her bubble, she could be on to something!

Could be a hatchery chick that someone bought and couldn't deal with. Not sure of the breed. Hope someone comes along soon that can help you more than I can!

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    can't help with the breed, but thanks for helping the bird out!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks like a wheaten game pullet to me. but I've been wrong before.

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you have a very sweet little girl! [​IMG] The chick looks around 6 weeks to me and I'm guessing a Sex-Link.

6. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    Quote:Funny you should mention the possibility that it could be an abandoned hatchery chick because the local feed store has said abandoned chicks are epidemic this time of year because of the parents that buy baby chicks as Easter presents and then don't want to deal with them. This chick doesn't look like any of the breeds they carry.

My daughter is very sweet and loves chickens. She's really hoping its a pullet because she already named it "Rima" (pronounced "reema") which in Japanes means "little Jasmine blossom" because she thinks this one came from her Jasmine.

We added four sassy/adventersome pullets to our flock this year (they are just about 2 months now). My daughter calls them "The Ya-Ya's" (from the book "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"). She calls this found one the "Petite Ya-Ya".

They all seem to be getting along well. [​IMG]

I really hope this is a pullet. [​IMG]

7. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

it looks like my Rhode Island Reds;)

8. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    She looks exactly like my 4-wk old red sex-link pullets [​IMG]

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Looks like a Golden Comet... Buff Rooster over Silver Gene pullet (Delaware, White Rock ex.) Great layer! [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Yah know it's funny how things happen for a reason. The odds were not in this little chicken's favor that it would be rescued and just by chance your daughter spotted it, your family happens to care for chickens, AND you caught it. Id say this was meant to be! lol Thank you for giving this little one a good home and who knows, maybe your Jasmine was guiding this little one to your daughter. Seems to me that your daughter needed the chicken just as much as the chicken needed your daughter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by