Baby chick froze :and Mom not interested in hatching the remainder....NEED HELP -( VERY VERY SAD!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunny Dawn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Sunny Dawn

Sunny Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My broody hen was sitting on 4 eggs - first one hatched Wednesday afternoon. Last night - chick was out of the brooder box and froze to death overnight....mom this morning had no interest in setting on the remaining 3 eggs (which were couple days behind the first). I have no incubator - always used the old fashioned method with letting a hen hatch them. Brought the 3 eggs in the house and placed them in a heating blanket.... Any chance they will hatch?

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm sorry your chick died; it's always hard to lose them.[​IMG]

Hens usually only set for another day or so after the chicks start hatching, so her lack of interest in the other eggs to be expected. How far behind are the remaining eggs? Can you candle the eggs to see how they are doing?

You'll need to keep the eggs at about 100 degrees F. Too hot, and the chicks will die. If you can't control the humidity, the chicks may get shrink-wrapped in the eggs as they hatch. It's hard to say whether you'll get anything from the remaining three eggs, but it can't hurt to try![​IMG]

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    What happened?! [​IMG]

4. Sunny Dawn

Sunny Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Eggs didn't make it....purchased an incubator today! Now I have a backup plan. Ginny (my almost constantly broody hen) is not brooding right now - hopefully she will wait till spring at this point. But when she does get broody and we let her set I am prepared....I should have taken the chick inside but Ginny is such a good momma I thought it was best to leave the chick with her.

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure you did your best. :) We live and learn. (I've been doing a lot of learning here lately. I've lost about a dozen animals in the last couple months due to all kinds of injuries or illnesses. And a couple wild orphaned babies I was trying to rehab.) I have a broody Orpington right now that I'm hoping and praying does a better job than my bantam. It will be my second Mama hen. The bantam wasn't a bad mama, I don't think. But almost all her chicks died. 1 disappeared. I think it slipped out of the coop and got scooped up by something, and the rest (besides the ONLY 3 ROOSTERS -_-) got sick. With weird stuff. One got a tumor. My animals almost never get normal, easily treated stuff. What's with that? Anyways, I'll quite rambling now. I'm glad you got an incubator and hopefully Ginny's next clutch of beautiful babies won't even need it! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by