Baby Chick full of air?

wynn4578

Songster
Apr 6, 2015
Oklahoma
I just found one of my chicks swelled up so big it looked like a ballon to the point that you could see the skin and light shining through it from the sun. At first I thought it was fluid and I wish I had gotten pictures. When my wife aspirated the chick it literally deflated. As soon as she did that the chick started preening and eating and drinking like nothing ever happened. I've never seen nor heard of such a thing. Any ideas what happened here and maybe what might have caused it?

Hmmm that is strange I am not sure what is is research it and maybe even call a vet just to see if they know anything was she outside around any bad plants what do you feed her have you fed her anything different lately

I wish you had gotten pics too!
How/where on body did she 'aspirate' it?
Both sides of the breast and the neck.

Hmmm that is strange I am not sure what is is research it and maybe even call a vet just to see if they know anything was she outside around any bad plants what do you feed her have you fed her anything different lately

She has the same diet as the rest of the chickens. She does free range with the mixed flock but I've had chickens here for years and I've never seen THAT before. I know a guy that works for the Ag department at OSU were not friends so I will have to wait until he is in the office Monday. He may know something or at least point me in a direction to go.

Turns out my wife did get a couple of pictures when I went to get our chicken tool kit. I don't know if you can see the swelling very well in them but here they are.
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG

Just an update. I called the guy I know and managed to get ahold of him. He said he actually sees that more than you would think in commercial chicken houses and it's caused by injury but usually just sees it in the breast area. Sure enough when my wife checked on the chick Saturday morning she noticed that the chicks back was bruised and the chick had swelled up again and seemed to be suffering so I decided it was best not knowing the extent of its injury to just cull it.

Back
Top Bottom