baby chick gasping for air

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yvonnes, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Yvonnes

Yvonnes New Egg

Nov 12, 2015
    Cape Breton NS
    Hi, I have a week old Barred Rock baby chick, that just started to gasp for air, it's not eating or drinking. Gave some molasses water and garlic with vitamins. Does anyone know what is wrong with chick. All the rest of the chicks are looking good.

2. gmatson

gmatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    It might have something stuck in its throat. A little olive oil might help it slide down.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would NEVER put anything in the mouth of an animal that is "gasping". The gasp tells you that there may be problems with air exchange. If this is the problem, introducing any liquid could cause an aspiration, and literally drown the animal. Are you positive that the chick is not too warm? Even though the rest are acting ok, this one might be more heat sensitive. Without seeing it, it would be impossible to tell what is going on, and even then, most likely, I'd be guessing. You might take your post to the "disease and injury/emergency forum.

4. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    I just had a chick with spay legs and it kept opening it's beak, like it was in distress.. I gave it 3-4 drops of ploy vi sol for a week and the chick is doing great now! Perhaps is needing some extra nutrients....

5. newchickshelp13

newchickshelp13 Just Hatched

Jun 19, 2016
    Florida
    My chick was doing the same thing last night. But today it seems just fine[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by