Baby chick gasping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kanike, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Kanike

Kanike New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Cottage Grove
    I am new to this forum and it is my first post. Currently, I am trying to nurse a baby chick that arrived via mail with other chicks about five days ago.
    She is a beautiful little Amercauana. All the sudden she started gasping for air and just sat there. So I isolated her from the others. I emailed the hatchery from which she was purchased in Texas, and they seemed to blame it on the post office handling and stress. There was one dead in the shipment when it arrived as well. At any rate she is a little better but very small and weak. Doesn't want to walk around much. I first gave her Tetracycline Hydrochlorine Soluble powder mixed very weak (four drops twice a day) for the first three days. She seemed to perk up, however still gasping, so I stopped. I give her water from soaked chick food by eye dropper, and a little egg yolk as she won't eat or drink on her own. She is now standing and peeping a little. She is so cute, and I really hate to lose her. I don't think you ever learn enough about raising a flock, and I have had Amercauana's for three years now. If anyone has any comments to what I am doing, would appreciate the help. I am wondering if it is worth trying to keep her going, although the gasping is less frequent. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. satisfied silkie

satisfied silkie New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I understand about the gasping chick my chick was doing the same thing the other day when it hatched out. I ended up loosing him . It was the first chick we have ever hatched out. We were so excited and devistated when it died. I hope yours goes a little better though. Good luck and I will keep your little chick in my prayers tonight.
    Ours was a silkie. good luck and see ya [​IMG] sherry

3. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Maybe she got a little bit of that bedding they ship them in inside of her from pecking at it. I have had several chickens that also appeared to be struggling and gasping for air in their first few days of life, and I would perform mouth to beak on the little ones to help open up the airways or to free any foriegn objects from their passage ways, and I didnt end up losing the chick. I have also spoke with others who have performed mouth to beak to their little hatchlings as well with positive results. Some people have looked at me like I was crazy, but have also performed that on ducklings (1-2 weeks of age) that ended up near drowning in the ponds and was able to save them as well. By the way, ducks are prone to drowning in the first 3 weeks of life. Good luck with your little one, hope whatever you decided to do or continue to do for her works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by