BABY CHICK GOT VERY SICK OVER NIGHT! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrysonsLilChic2, Aug 15, 2013.

1. BrysonsLilChic2

BrysonsLilChic2 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Alabama
    The chick was just fine yesterday, but as been very quiet and weak today. It won't eat or drink and it only walks to get to me, It's lying down now and it kind of laying on its side.Any idea what could be wrong and if I can do anything?? I've grown very attached to this chick and I won't it to survive..

1 person likes this.
  2. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be coccidiosis. what pellets do you give her? she must have growers pellets if she is a chick. dissolve some of her pellets in water and feed it to her through a syringe. also administer chicken tonic/sulphurdim. this will help cure the disease. i cant be sure its coccidiosis but when my chick had it she had some of these symptoms. [​IMG]

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check her crop,make sure it is not impacted. How old is chick and what feed is she on? Do they eat anything else besides chick feed? Cocci was mentioned on previous post. Some symptoms of Coccidiosis are runny/water poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss. If symptoms match purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp per gallon(this can be increased to almost 1 tsp(.92 tsp)this is severe outbreak dose. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,interferes with the ability of medication to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete. Try adding warm water to feed(you can use the medicated water for this also)chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by