Baby chick growth into adulthood....????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chue, Aug 19, 2011.

1. chue

chue New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    Does the growth of a chick into its full potential size...determined by GENETICS? Or Feeding and Environmetal variations? BOTH??

I have always liked "big" chickens. And was wondering just what I can do feeding/environmental wise, that would help my chickens reach their full potential???

I have 2, 1 month old chicks and did not get a chance to see the parents size.

Help???

Thanks.

2. countrycluckerskaren

countrycluckerskaren Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Breed has a lot to do with it. Some breeds are HUGE chickens like the Wyandottes and Astrolorps, while others are small like the White Leghorns and Comets. Some are in between such as the Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers.

The best you can do for your chicks is to feed them a quality food (I feed mine Purina - Layena), supliment with some greens as treats, keep water available for them, keep them comfortable temperature wise and let them grow.

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree - size depends on the breed. If they are properly fed with a nutritionally balance chicken food and just a few treats late in the afternoon, you'll have done the best you can for them as far as feeding is concerned.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by