Baby Chick Guessing Game!! New Pics pg 2, post 14

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jywel417, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Okay, I got these kids today out of assorted bins. 3 are from the assorted bantam box, 3 are assorted straight run/reds, and three are from the assorted pullet bin. Three I picked out, 2 reg 1 banty, have cheek puffs, so I assume they are maybe easter eggers? I don't know if the red is a RIR or not, but would appreciate any guesses. It doesn't really matter what they are since I got them just because but would be nice to know maybe what all I got in my grab bag [​IMG] Thanks ahead of time!

One of the Bantams

[​IMG]

Bantam with Puffy Cheeks (Easter Egger?)

[​IMG]

Same Bantam Puffy Cheek Chick

[​IMG]

Bantam, Penguin Lookin Baby

[​IMG]

One of the blonde/red straight run chicks

[​IMG]

Puffy Cheek Chick from Pullet Tub (Easter Egger?)

[​IMG]

Penguin Lookin Chick from the Straight Run Tub

[​IMG]

Red Chick from Straight Run Tub

[​IMG]

Brown Puff Cheek Pullet (Easter Egger?)

[​IMG]

Red Chipmunk Stripe Pullet

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    They're all impossibly cute!

Easter eggers have green legs as adults so I would think (but don't know) that the babies would have green legs as well.

My RIR were a darker red then your chick.

Could the penguin be an Austrolorp?

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm guessing the penquin is either an Austrolorp or Barred Rock

4. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    I had wondered about Australorps for my 2 black/yellow ones. One is a large fowl and the one I labeled as penguin is a bantam, so possibly a reg and a bantam australorp? I guess the ones with puff cheeks aren't really green legged are they? One of my black sex link chicks has much greener legs than these guys, so maybe they are some other kind of muffed breed ?

And the cuteness factor? Yeah . . . think that is how my flock went from 8 chicks to 17 in a matter of minutes [​IMG] Guess i've gone to the chickens . . . .

5. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Okay, haven't gotten many replies and I am sure that there are a ton of breeds that are possible but I was wondering would it help with identification if I could get close up shots of the feathers coming in on their wings? One of the little bantams wings look to me like they might be silver laced? If wing close up shots would help I can take more pics when I get home tonight after I get out of class and thru with work for the day. Thanks again for any help in advance guys !!!

6. cwilliams

cwilliams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    I have some australorps
    [​IMG]
    and I have some blacks that I believe the other blacks I have are barred rock (notice the beak difference)
    [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The first chick is a silver sebright.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Easter eggers do NOT have to have green legs, and there are a number of breeds and varieties other than easter eggers that have green legs.

The chicks are all adorable! Penguin looking down can indicate mottling.

Enjoy your new babies [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yes.

10. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Awesome !!! Thanks for all the replies !!! I think I may wait a day or 2 more before taking close up pics of wing feathers that are coming in on the babies so that maybe there is a little more to go on, also that way I will have some pics of them growing. Maybe sunday or so I will post a few more pictures [​IMG] It doesn't really matter to me what I have, I just hope I don't end up with too many roos [​IMG] Thanks for all the identification help guys !!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by