1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick has a lame wing or leg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jobear, May 6, 2009.

1. jobear

jobear Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Minnesota
    Our first chicks arrived today. They all seem to be healthy and well..but one has a lame wing or leg? I've been scouring the posts on here to see what it might be. It looks like one wing is a little outstretched and the leg on that side is a little tucked or weak? The chick can hobble around and is drinking and eating a bit. Could it be that spraddle leg? or is the wing issue something else? Should I try a little pedialyte or such? tape the leg? thanks for any insight. We are new to this!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Can you post a picture?

Electroyltes (Pedialyte) won't hurt this baby, so you can try it.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    It could be spraddle leg search it on here and you will find many posts about it. Its easy to take care of with a bandaid cut lengthwise and put on the legs. There should be posts and pictures detailing how to do it. I hope this helps

4. jobear

jobear Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Minnesota
    here's a picture I tried to take...
    [​IMG]
    hope the image shows.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It does look like the wing isn't folded against the body as it should be. You can take an old sock, nylon, or something tube-like to put around its little body to support that wing until it sits correctly. You may wish to cut a hole for the good wing so that it can have mobility on the good side.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by