baby chick has hair caught in throat!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gardensgirl, Mar 17, 2013.

1. gardensgirl

gardensgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Medford NJ
    My 2 week old chick has hair coming out of her beak. If I pull on it, it won't come out easily. I am afraid to pull too hard and hurt her. She is breathing ok, but doesn't seem to be eating or drinking since I noticed it. (about a half hour). Does anyone have any advice?

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Hmmm, I have never been in that situation with a chick but with an adult I might would take a drop or two of olive oil and drip it down her mouth to loosen everything in the craw and then it should come out fine. Since she's a chick I would only use a teeny,tiny bit. Good Luck!

3. gardensgirl

Mar 16, 2013
    Medford NJ
    thank you we'll try

4. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I hope it works for you! Let us know.

5. gardensgirl

Mar 16, 2013
    Medford NJ
    she barely took a half a drop of olive oil, I am going to keep trying. She did drink some, and had a little food, so I am hoping that she will poop it out. I cut a little off so she won't have the extra hair to swallow. Ultimately, I am worried, but will let you know what happens.

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I hope it all works out for you. I'll keep the two of you on my mind.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Make sure it's not wrapped around her tongue.

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    im guessing the hair is stuck in her crop so i would treat it similarly to crop bound. try opening her beak and use a needless syringe to get more oil down her throat. don't force too much that she will choke but i would try to get it in her mouth and this way she will swallow it. Also you could try giving her warm water (or milk or any liquid she enjoys) to try to dislodge it from her crop. Immediately after giving the oil or warm water, try massaging her throat to dislodge the hair. You could also mix some olive oil in with her food. The hair may be tangled in with food that is currently in the crop and maybe when it passes the hair will go with it. You goal is to try to dislodge the hair so that it can pass through the crop.
    Hope this helps, good luck :)

9. gardensgirl

Mar 16, 2013
    Medford NJ
    Thanks, going to do that now!

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Be very careful when giving oil orally. I believe if even one drop is aspirated it can cause lipoid pneumonia and probable death.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by