Baby Chick has Hard Poop, seems to Hurt when she poos

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TacomaChickNMom, Feb 17, 2013.

1. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    I have a RIR chic that has been having really hard poops and it seems to hurt her when she goes. Does anyone know what this can be? I've tried the pasty butt remedies and wipe the poo from her vent about twice a day as it sticks to her fluff. It still seems like it hurts though. any advice?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    is there a chance it just seems hard because it's drying? sounds like pasty butt to me, once it dries it gets very hard. I would check to make sure the temperature in your brooder is correct

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Yup, check the brooder temp. How old is she and how much is she drinking? Are you giving any other food beyond chick starter and is there grit available? Also, I've had some baby chicks that have been very, uh, animated in their pooping- I figure when they are that new, everything their body does must come as a surprise to them [​IMG]

4. TacomaChickNMom

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Now I have one that seemed very healthy acting very lethargic. ... :-( Any idea why this could be? Brooder seems warm enough, etc. Maybe needs vitamins? Should I add Chic Saver to the water?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Any time I see a young chick who has previously been thriving suddenly acting lethargic, just standing around puffed up, not eating much, I treat for coccidiosis. It is very common and brooders are perfect places for it. What chicks don't occasionally plop a nice big poop right in their waterer? Plus they are scratching around in the bedding and poop all day long. It happens. Yes, occasionally chicks just don't thrive or may die of other causes but coccidiosis is very common, it also moves very fast and is lethal. So it pays to treat right away if you see symptoms.

1 person likes this.
  6. TacomaChickNMom

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Well, the chick is definitely lethargic and is not eating, but I have been giving water with electrolytes and probiotics to it and it is drinking water. I cant' separate the chic now, I don't have an adequate heat source to keep it warm and when I separate him he cries for his mates. I haven't seen any bloody stool but I did see it do a white milky poo. I'm really worried. I think I will try to keep giving it water and see if I can find the Corid somewhere locally tomorrow. :-(

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2!

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sometimes they won't drink/eat enough if they have to leave the heat source to get to the water and food.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You also mentioned that one seemed like it was having a hard time pooping. If there is no poop caked on, it could be dehydrated. Try making a warn, wet crumble mash for them. But don't leave it in long enough for it to spoil.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can't find Corid, get Sulmet. Corid is much better, but Sulmet would be better than nothing. TSC should have Corid in the cattle section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by