baby chick has leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicholejesse426, Nov 2, 2016.

1. nicholejesse426

nicholejesse426 New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    My 9 day old chick is holding her leg up under her wing. She will not put it down and cries I try to straighten it out. She is eating and drinking some water but mostly laying around. I have moved her to her own spot with heat lamp. This is a first for me. Help please. I don't have a vet near me that sees chickens. I want to save her and need advice. Today is the first day we have noticed her leg being this way. We check on them multiple times a day.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It sounds like it could be a sprain. Was she being bullied while in with her flock mates? If not, I would let her be with them as much as possible, to keep familiar and not be lonely. The others could start picking on her or trampling her, but she would benefit from staying with them if possible. Even a small screen to divide her, but to still have contact with the others would be good. Supervised play time could be another way to handle this. Does she ever stand with her leg turned out to the side or behind the other leg? Vitamins for chicks added to the water can be helpful with leg problems.

3. nicholejesse426

nicholejesse426 New Egg

Nov 2, 2016
    She is smaller than the others so she very well could have been bullied. She doesn't turn the leg or anything. It stays tucked away under her wing. She doesn't even try to move it when she walks and falls over when she loose her balance on her good leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by