Baby chick has lump on back... NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tgribb6, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Tgribb6

Tgribb6 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    We have a 4-5 week old Silkie chick that has a large round lump on the back and some type of infection in his right eye. We have 10 silkie chicks and they are being raised as mainly pets in a nice back yard. Currently they stay in the garage and get lots of attention from the kids. They all seem to be doing great except one of our black ones.

The chick seems a little smaller and may be a little lethargic but we are not sure. And after just looking at him/her again, the chick may be ruffling the feathers more. We live in Southern California, give them medicated chick starter feed, fresh water daily, a clean cage with plenty of room, heat lamp, and lots of attention.

We are looking for answers on what this could be and if there is anything we can do. We started all the chicks on antibiotics in their water for precautionary reasons and have been applying Teramycin antibiotic ointment to the infected eye.

Should we separate??? Which we tried but the kids couldn't handle the chicks constant cries. I do realize this may need to be done for the safety of the others.

Oh and according to the kids (8, 5, and 2), the chicks name is ILY (Pronounced Eye-Lee)

Thank you from the entire family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG]

it looks like an infection to me. does it kind of resemble a boil? if so, dampen the area to soften the scab. i would use warm, sterile, water or saline. carefully open the "head" of the pimple with a needle, tweezers may come in handy to remove solid parts of the coil. get as much out as you can, and fill with neosporin. separate the chick but give it a friend to help keep him quiet. coat with bluecoat. make sure bedding is clean and dry. keep it as clean as you can, but dont cover with any bandage. dont use anything containing a *cain or *cane pain killer as it is toxic to chickens. (lidocane, benzocaine, etc)

this is getting bad enough its risky, hope for the best but expect the worst. please keep me updated, i would like to know how it goes.

3. Tgribb6

Tgribb6 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Thank you very much... We plan to do this tonight at 8:30 after the kids go to bed!

4. Tgribb6

Tgribb6 New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Ok so we did our best... Unfortunetly nothing would come out! We did the hot compress, sterile needle, and aside from a tiny bit of blood nothing would come out! Also, it did not appear to hurt the chick! We have since covered it in Neosporin and returned him to his box...

Does this sound familiar???

5. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    typically the infection will be hard, and a yellow color, but opening it and keeping it open for a day or so will certainly help. ive only messed with it on feet, ive never messed with one on the back, hopefully someone will come along who has.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by