Baby Chick has throat slit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cberg, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Cberg

Cberg Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    I am new to raising chickens on my own. One of my baby chicks was attacked yesterday. It is living right along. I had doctored the wound the best I could, but noticed today that the food I was feeding it was coming out the wound! So its little throat has been slit, actually, I think its the crop. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes you can try to super glue the area. I know this sounds strange but many of chickens on this site have been helped by sealing a wound with super glue. When some people have to perform home surgery on a impacted crop they seal the surgery site with super glue. So seal it with the super glue making sure its clean first and try to evenly seal the wound then I would give a round of general anti infective antibiotics to prevent infection. Keep her on soft foods for a bit and hopefully she will heal. I really hope this helps. Please let me know how she does. Good luck and God bless

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Apart from going to a vet and having a couple of stitches put in not really. If you have decided to try and help chick,then you could try,although i cannot guarantee it will work,is using super glue. I use super glue on wounds all the time,on myself and my pets. It you are going to stitch wound,make sure you tie off each stitch individually,sterilize needle/thread. This can be done by steaming thread or using rubbing alcohol/whiskey,heat needle till red hot. Apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "cane/cain"toxic to chickens). Watch for infection. Clean wound before stitching,you can use rubbing alcohol/peroxide or whatever you have on hand. Signs of infection are: swelling,redness,foul smell,chick is lethargic,not eating/drinking. After mini surgery,add warm water to feed so it is a mash,do this so feed is easier to digest,putting less strain on crop,do not give anything other than mash feed. Make sure chick is eating/drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: