Baby chick has trouble walking and seems antisocial

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meeshmom, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Meeshmom

Meeshmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    1of the 6 chicks we just got yesterday seems to have trouble walking and is less social than the others. She is super sweet & kind of vocal, too. She looks like she's panting a lot.
    She doesn't seem to be acclimating like the other chicks. It's like she doesn't have good balance. She's also smaller than the other 5, though they're all different kinds, so that might not make a difference.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Could it be Marek's? I'm not sure if they were vaccinated before we got them-- from a feed store.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It wouldn't be Mareks showing up at this early an age, but she may have some neurological symptoms from a vitamin deficiency or shipping. Shipping to homes or to the feed store can cause a lot of stress, and some can die of it. Vitamins and electrolytes would be good to give for a day or two, by dipping the beak into water as often as possible, and then put the chick on poultry vitamins or PolyVisol without iron infant vitamins 2-3 drops by mouth daily in case of deficiency. Make sure that your brooder temperature is 90 degrees with a cooler spot to escape to, then decrease it by 5 degrees a week. Panting could be a sign that it is hot.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    With my last batch I had 2 chicks I ended up showing them mush and getting them to eat because it seems they werent' getting any food. Just the weaker ones I guess. On died weeks later, and one is doing well .

I think chicks and all birds do not want to show anyone they are weaker, handicapped, or sick, which may explain being antisocial behavior. I guess I would make sure she eats and drinks, and doesn't get picked on while you work on getting her those vits Eggcessive was posting about.

4. Meeshmom

Meeshmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you both! Getting the vitamins today. She did well yesterday, but she's not looking so hot this morning. I appreciate your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by